Planning to attend Royal Ascot in June and not sure what to wear? We have some styling ideas that would help you getting inspired! Ladies, it is not just about attention-grabbing hats. If you want to create the best look for the day, it is important that you know the dress code first for the specific enclosure you’re going to enter.
- Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer.
- Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater.
- Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code.
- Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour.
- Hats should be worn; however a headpiece which has a base of four inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
- A hat, headpiece or fascinator should be worn at all times in the Grandstand.
- No strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck and spaghetti straps
- Midriffs must be covered.
- Fascinators are not permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches/10cm).
- Shorts are not permitted.
Find Your Perfect Hat
There’s no doubt that the most talked-about fashion highlight of the event is hats. From wide brims to fancy toppings, hats are an essential staple in pulling off your look at Royal Ascot. Focus on any details such as bows, laces and feathers on the hat and make sure it achieves overall balance with your outfit. To achieve a more elegant and chic look with a large hat, wear it to the side and pull down towards one eye. For a petite frame, discs and pillbox hats usually work better.
It may not be necessary to match the colour of your hat with your outfit. But it’s always a good idea to choose a shade that matches certain colour elements of your dress if you would like to go for a sophisticated look.
Dress to Impress
It’s important that you dress up in a stylish manner while adhering to the rules prescribed for each enclosure. Being elegant doesn’t mean you’ll have to appear in any old-fashioned way. Opt for a formal day dress with silky fabric would instantly give off a sense of class.
Pair with the Right Accessories
The key to a successful fashion look at the races also lies in the right accessories you pair with. Your jewels should be simply chic and kept to a minimum. Pearl jewellery is always appropriate for occasions like Royal Ascot. Real pearl earrings or a delicate bracelet can instantly add a touch of glamour and sophistication to your formal day dress. As for your clutch and shoes, try some colour co-ordination by matching either with your dress or hat. It wouldn’t be a good idea to appear in one single block of the same colours from head to toe. So don’t be afraid of injecting some shades to your accessories if you’re going for something slightly understated.